Poisonous Plants for Pets

August 25, 2009
molly2 crop

Molly

After a quick trip to the vet yesterday with my dog Molly (she is fine by the way), I was thinking about all the outdoor threats to our pets.  There are many plants down here in the south that can be toxic to animals if ingested.  Below I have listed a few toxic plants that are often used in Virginia landscapes. 

  • Azalea – Eating a few leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling; without immediate attention the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die. 
  • Daffodil – Ingestion of a daffodil bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. 
  • Hyacinth/Tulip – These plants contain concentrated amounts of toxins in the bulb.  If ingested in large amounts, bulbs can affect breathing and cause severe vomiting, diarrhea and increase the heart rate. 
  • Lily – Certain types of lilies – tiger, day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese- are highly toxic to cats.  Severe kidney failure can result from ingestion of even a few petals or leaves.

For a more complete list of harmful plants for pets visit the Pet Poison Helpline.  As always keep an eye on your pet when they are in the yard.  If you have a digger (like I do), keep an eye out for what plants they are digging up.  If your pet is showing signs of nausea and you think they have ingested plant material, it is always best to take them to the vet.

Advertisements

%d bloggers like this: